Friday, April 18, 2014

GFY, real-life anecdote

That was the first phrase I learned from first people I met in San Francisco and first 24 hours in the US. After a nice day of exploring the city I came back to my hotel at fisherman's wharf. There were awesome sofas in front of fire pits outside. After coding for a while I was just sitting with a bottle of milk enjoying watching the fire.

Then a couple of ladies joined me. One of them told me about her husband, who died in a car accident, driving a motorcycle. My desire to buy a motorcycle slightly decreased... Then she told me to add her on facebook and went away.

Then a drunk guy asked me if he could join watching the fire, offered me a beer and made fun of me drinking milk (actually I didn't like it either, but there was no kefir around). We began talking about random things. After he learned that I am from Russia the conversation became so exciting that an old man joined our talk as well. The main question from them was about my attitude to USSR.

Actually I was born in USSR, but in several months since that time it collapsed.

Then they told me that their country is prospering because of ubiquitous competition, that people compete with each other even in being friends. You want to show that you are a better friend than the guy you are a friend with.

Dudes told funny stories about speculating with weed in 1970s, gave me a piece of advice to avoid girls from New Jersey.

Our conversation ended up with:
- Douchebag!
- Go fuck yourself!

Which was previously explained as the best way to express high respect to each other.

1 comment:

  1. Lol yeah some people can be funny about using insults as a way of showing friendship

    ReplyDelete